Do I Have A Personal Injury Case?

You are likely wondering, “Do I have a personal injury case? Do I need a lawyer?” In most circumstances, the answer is “Yes”, to both.

First Things First: Seek Medical Attention

Shock, confusion, anger and fear are often experienced when injured in an accident. If you or others involved in the accident are in life-threatening condition, are unresponsive, or are experiencing a medical emergency, call 9-1-1.

If you feel dazed, confused, tired or unwell, do not drive yourself home. Although you may feel capable of driving, it may not be safe for you to drive, even if it is only a few blocks home. You may not recognize the severity of your injuries and your condition can rapidly change to life-threatening. Driving yourself home or providing a ride to others who are injured, may put your safety and the safety of others at risk.  

Phone 9-1-1 if you are experiencing a medical emergency. Phone a friend or family member to meet you and help you get medical attention. Phone 811 in Alberta for Health Link to help assess your injuries and for information on the nearest clinics and emergency departments.

Do I Have A Personal Injury Case?

If you have been injured in a motor vehicle accident as a result of another person’s negligence, you have the right to sue for compensation. There is a cap or maximum in Alberta on the amount of compensation that you can receive for injuries that are considered minor. See our blog on the  Cap for more information. There are many injuries, such as head injuries and chronic injuries, that do not fall within the Cap.

Whether your injuries in an accident are minor, severe, or life-changing, you have a case, if another person’s negligence caused your injuries. Specific circumstances apply if you were working at the time of the collision or if you were injured in an accident, other than a motor vehicle accident.

If you are injured in a motor vehicle accident or on private property, city property, or in another type of accident, the liability of the other party has to be established. Calling us immediately after the accident will best enable us to gather the evidence, investigate, and assess your case.

Do I Need an Injury Lawyer?

Whether your injuries are minor, severe or life-changing, a lawyer at James H. Brown & Associates can help you navigate the legal process so that you can focus on getting better. Many people feel overwhelmed after they or a loved one are in an accident, and they do not know where to turn. We can assist. Let us help guide you through the process.

If there are multiple vehicles involved in the collision, there is often disagreement about who is at fault or who caused the accident. Disputes among multiple parties are often not resolved without litigation. If you are unsure if you are at fault for the accident, if you cannot remember the details of the accident, or if the other driver claims you are at fault, speak with our experienced team of personal injury lawyers before speaking with the other driver’s insurance company.

What About Hit and Run Accidents?

We highly recommend that you get legal advice if you are in a hit and run collision when the at-fault driver cannot be identified, or if the at-fault driver did not have insurance. There are specific steps required, including notification of the Administrator of the Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Fund. If certain requirements are not met, you can lose your right to compensation. See our Blog on Hit and Run Accidents for more information.

Are My Injuries Serious Enough?

You may be wondering whether your injuries are serious enough to contact a lawyer and take legal action. You may be worried that you will not fully recover from your injuries and be left with chronic pain. You may be concerned that you will not be able to return to work or that you will have to find a new job. You may have been in prior motor vehicle accidents or have a pre-existing injury or medical condition. Many people have complex medical conditions that have become worse following an accident. The lawyers at James H. Brown & Associates have the experience to help ensure you receive fair compensation.

You may be thinking that you can handle your case yourself. You may want to know how much compensation you may get before you hire a lawyer.  You may want to talk to a lawyer but are afraid you cannot afford legal fees. We work on a contingency fee basis, which means that you do not pay any up-front fees. We retain a percentage of the settlement, based on the stage at which your claim settles. For more details, see our blog on contingency fees. Each person’s circumstances are unique in how injuries in an accident impact one’s work, family and life. We recommend that you get legal advice so that you can understand your options.

Unsure Where To Turn? James H. Brown and Associates Can Help!

The lawyers at James H. Brown & Associates can help you understand your legal rights. We are here to provide a free consultation so that you can decide what is the best option for you. Remember that there are limitation laws in Alberta that specify the time you have to sue. After the limitation has passed, you lose the right to sue.

Do not wait until a few days before the limitation date to decide if you will pursue your case. The sooner you call us after an accident, the sooner we can help you navigate the process.  Avoid uncertainty. Speak with one of our lawyers, so that you can focus on your recovery.

Do not hesitate to call us to discuss your case. We can explain your options and you can take time to discuss them with your loved ones. We can arrange in-person or virtual meetings, and your family members or other support persons can join you for the meeting. Phone us today for a free consultation so that YOU can decide whether you want to advance your case and whether you want a lawyer to represent you.

related post