Winter weather is headed for Grande Prairie, and drivers are preparing for increasingly treacherous road conditions. Whether it’s driving to work in the morning or taking Highway 40 down to Jasper, Grande Prairie motorists will have to be extra careful to stay safe and avoid serious accidents.
For nearly thirty years, James H. Brown and Associates has built its unrivalled reputation by standing up for the rights of car accident victims across Alberta. Read on to learn our top tips for safe winter driving in Grand Prairie, as well as how our award-winning injury lawyers can help if you’ve been injured in an accident.
Not sure if an injury lawyer is right for you? Take our 5-minute quiz to find out!
Staying Safe on Winter Roads
- Make Sure Your Vehicle’s Ready for Winter. Ensure your vehicle is in good working order, has appropriate tires for winter, and is equipped with everything you need for winter, including a brush/scraper, a lightweight shovel, battery jumper cables, and other emergency items.
- Slow Down. Driving too fast for road conditions is the leading cause of winter car accidents. Slow down and drive carefully on snow and ice-covered roads, and avoid making sharp turns at high speeds.
- Leave Lots of Room (And Don’t Tailgate!). Driving in winter is more challenging for everyone. No matter what you’re driving, stopping takes much longer on snowy and icy roads than dry pavement. Always leave a safe distance between your vehicle and the one in front of you, and always be ready to stop safely.
- Turn Your Lights On. Especially on snowy days or in poor conditions, turning your lights on can help other drivers see you better.
- Stay Alert. Being aware of your surroundings while driving is even more important in winter. Always remain alert to what other drivers are doing, and ensure everybody has enough room for turning and stopping.
What to Do if You’re Injured in a Car Accident
Despite our best efforts, accidents can still happen on Calgary roads. If you or a loved one suffer an injury in a car accident, take the following steps to ensure your rights are protected:
- Seek Medical Attention Right Away. Nothing is more important than your health. Even if your injuries appear “minor,” it’s still essential to seek medical care as soon as possible. A healthcare provider will be able to detect and treat injuries that may not be apparent right away. Additionally, your doctor’s records of your injuries will likely be a critical part of a potential accident claim.
- Keep Track of Damages. After the accident, continue to keep a detailed journal of any changes you experience due to your accident. “Damages” can be lost days of work, out-of-pocket expenses, or even psychological trauma. Documenting your damages as you go is the best way to ensure you receive a complete and fair settlement.
- Seek Legal Advice (BEFORE Talking to the Other Driver’s Insurance). As soon as the other driver’s insurance company finds out you were involved in an accident with their client, they’ll likely contact you to attempt to reach a statement. Never give an insurance company a statement before seeking legal advice. Many insurance companies will look for information in your statement they can use to minimize their payout. Instead, contact an experienced injury lawyer to determine the way to attain justice.
Car Accident Injury Law with James H. Brown and Associates
A serious car accident can turn your life upside down. When you and your family’s lives and livelihoods are at stake, you need support you can depend on. James H. Brown and Associates understand this from firsthand experience; that’s why we’ve assembled an award-winning team of accident injury lawyers dedicated to helping Grande Prairie attain complete, fair compensation for their injuries.
Over the last three decades, we’ve learned that every accident is unique; that’s why we offer complete legal services and support for Grande Prairie accident victims, including:
- Over 200 years of combined injury law experience, including an unrivalled record of success in Alberta courts.
- Complete accident investigation services, including evidence preservation, accident reconstruction, and more.
- Multi-disciplinary experts and specialists to fully diagnose your injuries and determine long-term impacts.
- Strong relationships with Alberta organizations ready to assist with rehabilitation and recovery.
Get Started Today
Sound legal advice is the first step on the road to justice. At James H. Brown and Associates, we make it fast and easy to access the legal advice you need, starting today.
Unlike many large law firms in Alberta, James H. Brown and Associates’ injury lawyers are ready to speak with you right away. No call centres, no intake teams, just the expert legal advice you and your family need.
Contact us today to speak with a lawyer and schedule a free, no-obligation consultation with James H. Brown and Associates.