Love it or hate it, winter is nearly here. As Edmontonians, we all know we’re in for months of snow, ice, and other potentially dangerous road conditions. From our morning commutes on the Henday to weekend trips down to Jasper, drivers will have to take extra precautions to stay safe and avoid serious accidents.
Since 1993, James H. Brown and Associates has built its unrivalled reputation by standing up for the Edmontonians’ rights and helping them secure fair compensation after serious injuries. Below, you’ll find our top tips for staying safe on Edmonton’s winter roads, as well as information on what to do after a serious accident. By following this guide, you’ll be ready to stay safe this winter, as well as know how to protect your rights after an accident.
Safety Tips for Edmonton Winter Driving
- Get Your Vehicle Ready for Winter. Ensure your vehicle is in good working order and has appropriate tires for winter. Additionally, keep an emergency kit in your vehicle that includes a brush/scraper, a lightweight shovel, battery jumper cables, and other emergency items.
- Slow Down. Driving too fast is the leading cause of winter car accidents. Driving slowly and carefully on snow and ice-covered roads (and avoiding sharp turns and other dangerous manoeuvres) can help keep everyone safe.
- Leave Lots of Room (And Don’t Tailgate!). No matter what you’re driving, stopping takes much longer on snowy and icy roads than dry pavement. Leave plenty of room between you and other vehicles, and always be ready to stop safely.
- Turn Your Lights On. Turning your lights on can help improve your visibility for other drivers, especially in snowy conditions.
- Stay Alert. Being aware of your surroundings is even more important in winter. Always remain alert to what other drivers are doing, and ensure everybody has enough room for turning and stopping.
What to Do if You’re Injured in a Car Accident
Despite our best efforts, accidents can still happen on Edmonton roads. If you or a loved one suffer an injury in a car accident, take the following steps to ensure your rights are protected:
- Seek Medical Attention. Nothing is more important than your health. Even if your injuries appear “minor,” it’s still essential to seek medical care as soon as possible. A healthcare provider will be able to detect and treat injuries that may not be apparent right away. Additionally, your doctor’s records of your injuries will likely be a critical part of a potential accident claim.
- Keep Track of Damages. After the accident, keep detailed notes on any changes you experience as a result of your accident. “Damages” can be anything from lost days of work and out-of-pocket expenses to psychological trauma. Documenting your damages as you go is the best way to ensure you can receive a complete and fair settlement.
- Seek Legal Advice (BEFORE Talking to the Other Driver’s Insurance). As soon as the other driver’s insurance company finds out you were involved in an accident with their client, they’ll likely contact you to attempt to get a statement. Never give an insurance company a statement before seeking legal advice. Many insurance companies will look for information in your statement they can use to minimize their payout. Instead, contact an experienced injury lawyer to determine the best course of action.
Car Accident Injury Law with James H. Brown and Associates
Car accidents can be hard for accident victims and their families. James H. Brown and Associates understand this from firsthand experience; that’s why we’ve assembled an award-winning team of accident injury lawyers dedicated to helping Edmontonians attain complete, fair compensation for their injuries, allowing them to focus on the road to recovery
Over the last three decades, we’ve learned that no two accidents are the same. That’s why we offer complete legal services and support for Edmonton accident victims and their families, including:
- Over 200 years of combined injury law experience, including an unrivalled record of success in Alberta courts.
- Complete accident investigation services, including evidence preservation, accident reconstruction, and more.
- Multi-disciplinary experts and specialists to fully diagnose your injuries and determine long-term impacts.
- Strong relationships with Alberta organizations ready to assist with rehabilitation and recovery.
- And much more!
Get Started Today
Sound legal advice is the first step on the road to justice. At James H. Brown and Associates, we make it fast and easy to access the legal advice you need, starting today.
Unlike many large law firms in Edmonton, James H. Brown and Associates’ injury lawyers are ready to speak with you right away. No call centres, no intake teams, just the expert legal advice you and your family need.
Contact us today to speak with a lawyer and schedule a free, no-obligation consultation with James H. Brown and Associates.