Whether you like it or not, winter is coming. As temperatures drop and snow starts to fly, Alberta streets and sidewalks become notoriously slippery and dangerous. Everyone at some point in their life will slip or fall because of the harsh weather conditions in Alberta. Should you have the misfortune of falling victim to an unreasonably slippery sidewalk, and suffer a slip and fall injury, you may be entitled to compensation.
Whenever you are injured by the negligence of another person, you have recourse against that person through a personal injury claim. With that being said, the amount you recover is dependent on the steps you take immediately after the accident. Please read on to learn best practices after you suffer an injury from a fall on ice and snow.
What Steps Do I Take After a Slip or Fall Injury?
- Take pictures. With any slip and fall injury, picture evidence is critical. More likely than not, the at-fault party will clear their sidewalk soon after hearing an individual has been hurt. Property owners are only expected to keep sidewalks clear to a reasonable standard. If the sidewalk was not kept to a reasonable standard at the time of your injury and then is cleaned soon afterward, it becomes your word against the property owner’s. If you take pictures which illustrate the condition of the sidewalk, this “he said she said” situation will be avoided. In any lawsuit, evidence is worth its weight in gold. Ensure you start your claim off on the right foot and secure as much picture evidence as possible.
- If there are any witnesses present, ask for their names and phone numbers. If there are any security cameras which may have caught your fall, ask the owner of the building for permission to copy the footage.
- Go to your family doctor or an emergency room as soon as possible and document all your injuries.
- Call an experienced personal injury lawyer (as soon as you have taken the above steps) for a free consultation.
Talk With An Experienced Injury Lawyer First
Do not negotiate, make any deals, or come to an understanding with the at-fault party. Any compensation you initially receive from the at-fault party can negatively impact a future claim; and in some cases, you may be barred from launching a claim if you accept upfront compensation for your injuries. Before you negotiate or come to any agreements with the at-fault party, talk to an injury lawyer first.
James H. Brown and Associates: Unrivalled Success in Injury Law
For nearly three decades, James H. Brown and Associates have worked with slip and fall injury victims and their families to help them attain complete, fair compensation for their injuries. Our team of experienced injury lawyers understand firsthand what it’s like to be injured due to the negligence of another party, and are ready to stand up for your rights while supporting you on the road to recovery.
An Award-Winning Team to Get You Results
Today, James H. Brown and Associates has an award-winning team of experienced professionals committed to attaining justice and getting our clients the compensation they deserve for their injuries. Our team proudly offers a complete range of services and support for our clients throughout the legal process, including:
- An award-winning team of lawyers with over 200 years of combined experience in accident injury law.
- Comprehensive investigation and evidence preservation services, including accident reconstruction and analysis.
- Access to experts able to determine the full extent of injuries and provide important documentation for your case.
- Strong relationships with organizations ready to help you and your family with rehabilitation and recovery.
- And much more!
Have You or a Loved One Been Injured?
Contact us today to book a free, no-obligation consultation with James H. Brown and Associates’ injury lawyers.