Getting Started with James H. Brown and Associates
You or a loved one have been seriously injured. Now what?
Life-changing injuries are some of the most traumatizing experiences we’ll have. At James H. Brown and Associates, we understand firsthand how overwhelming it can feel to plan your next steps.
Although every accident is unique, there are certain steps everyone should take to ensure they get the compensation they deserve for their injuries. Read our step-by-step guide below to learn more about the steps you should be taking after a serious injury:
1. Seek Medical Attention
Your health is more important than anything. Get medical treatment for your injuries as soon as possible after your accident.
- Get checked out, even if your injuries feel “minor.” Even if you aren’t in severe pain, you may still have suffered an injury that requires immediate medical treatment or will worsen over time. Additionally, insurance companies may claim you weren’t actually injured if you didn’t seek medical attention.
- Describe your injuries to your doctor in detail. Your medical provider will be documenting your injuries in their records, which will be used later to evaluate your injury claims. No detail is too small; even a seemingly minor injury can affect your case.
- Receive any relevant tests, including X-rays, MRIs, CT scans, etc.. These tests will allow your doctor to diagnose and document your injuries thoroughly. The more accurately your injuries are diagnosed, the easier it is to prove they were caused by the accident.
2. Talk With the Right People
If you or a loved one are seriously injured, there will be many people interested in knowing how you’re doing. In addition to your family and friends, other parties (like police, insurance companies, or even private investigators) may also want to know information about your accident. Be mindful of who you share information about your accident with.
- Call an injury lawyer right away. The sooner we’re in touch, the sooner we can help you navigate your injury claim. James H. Brown and Associates are proud to offer free, no-obligation consultations to help you get started right away.
- Never give an insurance company a statement without speaking with an injury lawyer first. When you seek compensation for your injuries later, the company may look for information in your statement they can use to avoid paying fair compensation. You have no obligation to give the other party’s insurance company a statement without speaking to a lawyer.
- Be mindful of who you talk to about your accident. If you don’t know them, you don’t know what they’ll do with the information you give them about your accident. If someone you don’t know wants to know about your accident, call your lawyer so we can be present and assist you if necessary.
- Be careful what you post on social media. Insurance companies and their defence teams often review social media to find out about claimants in personal injury cases. High privacy settings aren’t enough; if you don’t want it to be read aloud in Court before a Judge and Jury, don’t post it.
3. Document Everything
No matter what type of injury you’re facing, documentation will be key in securing fair compensation. The more information we have, the stronger your case will be.
- Keep track of your “damages.” Damages can be anything from the damage to your vehicle, lost wages, out-of-pocket expenses, and more. Save all your receipts, quotes, and other proof of expenses related to your accident.
- Maintain a journal. Injury cases can take a long time; don’t rely on your memory. Keep a journal detailing how the accident has affected your work, household activities, recreation, even your mental state. Everything from how you feel when you get out of bed to whether or not you can work will make a difference in your settlement.
- Save your cast! Don’t throw away any cast, brace, or other medical appliance. If necessary, these items may be used as evidence in Court.
3. Build Your Support Network (and Let Us Help!)
Most injury settlements don’t happen overnight; the road to closure and recovery can be long. It’s important to ensure you have a support network to look after all your needs every step of the way, allowing you to focus on your recovery.
James H. Brown and Associates understand this firsthand; that’s why our experienced team of accident injury lawyers remains dedicated to pursuing the justice you and your family deserve.
Over the last thirty years, we’ve learned that no two accidents are alike. As a large, experienced law firm, we’re proud to offer a full range of resources for accident victims and their families, including:
- 250 years of combined injury law experience, including numerous precedent-setting settlements in Alberta.
- Complete accident investigation services, including evidence preservation and accident reconstruction.
- Access to multi-disciplinary experts and specialists to diagnose your injuries and determine long-term impacts.
- Strong relationships with organizations ready to assist with rehabilitation and recovery.
James H. Brown and Associates remains committed to supporting you and your family through every step of advancing a claim, attaining justice, and getting on the road to recovery.
Have You or a Loved One Been Seriously Injured?
Contact us today to book a free, no-obligation consultation with one of James H. Brown and Associates’ experienced injury lawyers.