Accidents with Uninsured Drivers: How MVAC Can Help

A motor vehicle accident with an uninsured driver is considered one of the worst-case scenarios for anyone. However, when you or a loved one is seriously injured, things can become even more overwhelming quickly. After an accident, the most important thing is securing financial compensation to cover victims’ medical expenses. If the at-fault driver doesn’t have insurance, it’s not always clear who’s going to pay, or how.

The Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Program began in 1947 through the Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Act with this exact situation in mind. The program ensures accident victims injured by uninsured or unknown drivers can sue and receive payment for their personal bodily injuries. If you’ve been injured by an uninsured or unknown driver, you’ll likely be seeking compensation through MVAC.

To help get you started, you’ll find more information about receiving compensation through MVAC below, as well as how James H. Brown and Associates can help accident victims attain justice and receive the compensation they deserve.

When Should You Pursue MVAC Compensation?

As noted above, MVAC exists so that accident victims can receive compensation when an at-fault party doesn’t have insurance. It can also be used when the driver is unknown (often because they leave the scene of the accident).

However, it’s important to note that the Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Program does have limitations, including:

  • only covering compensation for bodily injuries; MVAC will not cover property damage, such as damage to your vehicle.
  • only covering accidents where the uninsured or unknown driver is at fault; in multi-vehicle collisions with several at-fault parties, Alberta law requires you to seek compensation from them first.
  • having a maximum payout of $200,000 for all accident victims; if there was more than one victim, the $200,000 would be split amongst you depending on the severity of your injuries.

Overall, MVAC is designed to be a last resort for accident victims. While it’s better than nothing, you’re far more likely to receive complete, fair compensation by thoroughly investigating possible insurance coverage. However, when liable parties don’t have any insurance, MVAC is there to ensure you’re not left without any financial compensation for your injuries.

How to Access MVAC Compensation

Before securing compensation for your accident using MVAC, Alberta requires that accident victims take the followings steps:

  1. Investigate all possible insurance coverage, including partial coverage.
  2. Contact your insurance company (or another party) to pay for interim medical expenses. MVAC will only pay for interim medical expenses in extremely unique cases,
  3. File a lawsuit against the person(s) liable for your accident. We strongly encourage accident victims to seek legal assistance for this step.
  4. Serve notice to the liable person(s) of your lawsuit.

Getting Justice with James H. Brown

Attaining compensation through MVAC is a long and complicated process. Accident victims need both sound legal advice and comprehensive support every step of the way. Since 1993, James H. Brown and Associates has been dedicated to standing up for accident victims across Alberta, providing award-winning legal services and support to help victims navigate the road to recovery.

As a large, well-established law firm, James H. Brown and Associates proudly provides access to a complete range of resources and services, including:

With available for our clients, we are committed to supporting you and your family through every step of attaining justice and getting on the road to recovery.

Looking for Legal Advice?

Contact us today to book a free, no-obligation consultation with one of our experienced accident injury lawyers.

related post