Car Accident Injuries and Reporting in Edmonton: What You Need to Know

Did you know that there have been some recent changes to the process of reporting a vehicle collision in Edmonton? With drivers across the city facing constant challenges like construction, weather fluctuations and other risk factors, it’s crucial to know what to do should you find yourself in a collision during the colder months, as well as all year round. Below, we’ll cover what you need to know about the new Collision Reporting Centres, as well as exceptions to this process and the benefits of partnering with James H. Brown and Associates should you need to make an injury claim. Read on to learn more!

What Are the Changes to Reporting a Collision in Edmonton?

On September 29, 2022, EPS rolled out a new initiative designed to streamline the process of collision reporting and reduce wait times for other matters at stations across the city. Under this new initiative, Edmonton Police will no longer process minor collision reports at a police station. Instead, such reports are now taken at 2 dedicated reporting centres in the city. The new dedicated reporting centres are located at 15750 116 AVE NW (North Side), and 5805 87A St NW (South Side), with their hours of operation being 8 am to 8 pm Monday to Saturday and from 10 am to 6 pm on Sunday. Under Alberta guidelines, Edmontonians must report a collision to the police (meaning Edmontonians must now use Reporting Centres) if the following criteria are involved:

  • The damage caused to all involved vehicles and/or property exceeds $2000
  • An involved party is injured

It’s important to note that failure to report a collision can result in a $450 fine. For those who may have injuries that they are unaware of (serious injuries like Whiplash, Traumatic Brain Injuries, Spinal Cord Injuries etc, can take days or even weeks to appear), it’s also crucial to be aware that not reporting your accident as soon as possible can leave you at a significant disadvantage should you need to file an injury claim in the future.

How Do You Report Your Collision at the New Centres?

EPS’ new collision centres are run in partnership with Accident Support Services International Ltd. (ASSI), a third-party management company with experience operating 41 collision reporting centres across Canada. If you are in an accident, it’s important to take the following steps as soon as possible:

  1. Determine if anyone is injured. The safety and well-being of all parties should always be the first priority, and if anyone is hurt, call 9-1-1 immediately.
  2. Remain calm. Collisions are a traumatic experience and as such, understandably overwhelming. If possible, move involved vehicles to a safe location to clear the road for other drivers and to reduce the risk of further damage.
  3. Assess the damage to all vehicles and any involved property. As stated above, any damage surpassing $2000 must be reported, and it is advisable to do so as soon as possible following a collision. It’s worth noting that, with the various features included in most modern vehicles (backup cameras, etc.), $2000 is a low threshold, meaning that many accidents will need to be reported.
  4. If you can, and it is safe to do so, drive to your nearest collision centre and report your accident. If you cannot operate your vehicle safely, you must arrange for a tow company to transport you and your vehicle to your nearest centre. Note that, per EPS, if your vehicle requires towing, you or the owner do not need to accompany the vehicle to the collision reporting centre simultaneously.

What Are the Exceptions to Using a Collision Reporting Centre?

Collision Reporting Centres are intended to handle minor motor vehicle accidents, meaning that there are instances where reporting may be handled differently. Such cases include accidents where:

  • There are injuries that require medical transport from the scene to a hospital
  • Property damage caused presents an active safety concern or accidents where debris and vehicles hinder traffic significantly.
  • Any collisions involving criminal activity, suspended drivers or vehicles being operated without insurance.
  • Hit and Runs where the suspect vehicle is identifiable and in the area
  • Collisions involving any federal, municipal, or provincially owned vehicles.
  • Hazardous or dangerous goods were being transported in any of the involved vehicles.

Contacting an Injury Lawyer After a Collision

As Collision Reporting centres are designed exclusively to handle the details involved in reporting an accident, you will not be able to speak to an injury lawyer on-site. This means that is vital to know your rights and to contact a trusted party that has your best interests in mind. If you have been injured due to a collision, it is your right to fair representation. At James H. Brown and Associates, we’re here to make sure that you have the guidance, support and trusted-legal experience on your side when it matters most!

Your Partners in Injury Law for Edmonton

If you or someone you love has been injured within Edmonton or across Alberta, James H. Brown and Associates is here to help. Our precedent-setting team has the expertise you need to succeed and will always be dedicated to making your voice heard in the legal system. James H. Brown and Associates offers free, no-obligation, injury-claim evaluations, making it easy to find out if you have a valid case in as little as 30 minutes. If you’ve been injured in a motor vehicle accident, contact us today.

related post