When To Go To A Collision Reporting Centre

Most of the time, our lawyers at James H. Brown and Associates are tackling motor vehicle accidents (MVAs). Over our 250 combined years of experience, we have nailed down the process of fighting for you in order to get you just compensation. We advise our clients on what steps to take, but we know that when you get into an accident, it can be hard to remember everything that needs to be done. This post will help you decide whether you must go to the closest collision reporting centre and what that looks like.

What Is A Collision Reporting Centre?

Collision reporting centres are facilities for those involved in a collision to report minor motor vehicle accidents. Accident Support Services International (ASSI) employees on site will help you to file a report as simply and quickly as possible. 

For all circumstances, never agree to forget about the accident and never sign anything admitting to guilt. Here is a more detailed list of your obligations after an accident. Note that failure to report an accident can result in a $405 fine. Be sure to go to the nearest collision reporting centre after your accident to avoid incurring this fine.

When To Go To A Collision Reporting Centre

If you’ve been involved in a motor vehicle accident that results in damage of more than $2,000 to any involved vehicles or property and that injures one or more parties, you must report it to the closest collision reporting centre. If you are unsure of the extent of the damage, go to a nearby body shop for an estimate. 

Next Steps

After determining if anyone is injured and swapping licenses, registrations and insurance, make sure to take photos of the car accident and note the exact location. You will need all this for your collision reporting centre report. At the facility, you will need to talk to the front counter. They may have a waiting list for reporting accidents, so you may have to take a number. Some collision reporting centers will have computers that allow you to relay all relevant information, including a section for drawing what took place. After getting photos taken of your vehicle and performing any immediate actions as directed by staff, you are free to go home.

When Not To Go To A Collision Reporting Centre

Conversely, you do not go to a collision reporting centre when the circumstances create a case more extensive than what collision reporting centres handle. These circumstances include if:

  • Anyone involved is transferred to a hospital or medical centre.
  • There are any dangers in the area as a result of property damage (i.e. involved vehicles blocking traffic significantly or active electrical fires)
  • Any known criminal activity, suspended drivers or drivers without insurance are present.
  • There was a hit-and-run, and the offending vehicle is identifiable in the area.
  • A vehicle of federal, municipal or provincial property is involved.
  • Dangerous or hazardous goods are involved (i.e. through transportation)

Do not go to a collision reporting centre if this is the case. Instead, call James H. Brown and Associates for a free consultation with one of our award-winning Alberta personal injury lawyers. We have the information you need to continue to report your accident and fight for fair compensation.

James H. Brown Lawyers Are Ready To Assist You

Collisions can result in emotional pain as well as physical. It’s a painful and often frustrating thing to be involved in a car accident. James H. Brown and Associates has lawyers that will be able to help you in your MVA case to fight for the compensation you deserve so that you can focus on healing. Contact us today for a free, no-obligation consultation. 

related post