Alberta Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Program: What You Need to Know

If you or a loved one has been injured in a motor vehicle accident by an uninsured or unknown driver, you need to read this!

In Alberta, all drivers are required by law to have liability insurance. But what happens when they don’t? Even worse, what if a driver flees the scene of the accident? Recovering from a serious injury is hard enough when you don’t have to worry about who’s paying for your medical expenses or where to turn to seek compensation for your damages.

At James H. Brown and Associates, we understand firsthand what it’s like to have your life altered by a serious injury. Our team of experienced injury lawyers are ready to help you navigate the courts, attain justice, and secure the compensation you deserve. Read on to learn more about the Alberta Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Program and how it can affect your case.

MVAC: Why We Need It and How It Works

The Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Program was created in 1947 through the Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Act. The program was designed to protect victims injured by uninsured or unknown drivers by ensuring they can sue and receive payment for their personal injuries. Without MVAC, victims would often not be able to claim any damages for their injuries otherwise; after all, they wouldn’t have anybody to sue!

While MVAC is an excellent resource in many situations, it does have its limitations, including:

  • Only covering compensation for bodily injuries; property damage doesn’t count!
  • Only covering accidents where the uninsured or unknown driver is at fault; in multi-vehicle collisions with several at-fault parties, Alberta law requires you to seek compensation from them first.
  • Having a maximum payout of $200,000.

MVAC settlements are designed to be a “last resort;” individuals can only sue for MVAC compensation when all other options have failed. You can only file a claim under MVAC after:

  • Investigating all possible insurance coverage, even partial coverage.
  • Contacting your insurance company to pay for interim medical expenses – MVAC only provides benefits for these expenses in unique cases.
  • Filing a lawsuit against the person or people liable for the accident and your injuries – you should find legal assistance to help you with this process.
  • Serving a notice of your lawsuit on the liable person or people. If the driver is unknown, you are required to collect information from witnesses and canvass for other possible witnesses.

Overall, the Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Program should be viewed as a worst-case scenario option and is designed for this exact purpose.

Navigating MVAC With James H. Brown

Making a claim and securing compensation after a serious auto accident can be complicated and stressful. Our experienced team of accident injury lawyers are dedicated to pursuing justice and securing the compensation you and your family deserve, allowing you to focus on your recovery.

No two accidents are the same; that’s James H. Brown and Associates offers a complete range of services for accident victims and their families, including:

  • Over 200 years of combined injury law experience, securing claims and compensation for clients across Alberta.
  • Investigation and evidence preservation services, including accident reconstruction.
  • Strong relationships with organizations ready to assist with rehabilitation and recovery.
  • And much more!

With comprehensive resources available for our clients, we are committed to supporting you and your family through every step of advancing a claim, attaining justice, and getting on the road to recovery.

Have You or a Loved One Been Injured in a Motor Vehicle Accident?

Contact us today to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation with James H. Brown and Associates’ experienced injury lawyers.

related post