Everything You Need to Know About Edmonton’s New Collision Reporting Centre

As of September 29, 2022, the Edmonton Police Service process for collision reports is changing. The Edmonton Police Service (EPS) has opened two Collision Reporting Centres to manage collision reports. The stated goal for these centres is to streamline the process for minor collisions and free up police resources. The EPS will no longer process minor collision reports at the police station. We will help answer some questions about the new Collision Reporting Centres.

Where Are The Collision Reporting Centres Located?

One Edmonton Collision Reporting Centre is located in north Edmonton at 15750 116 AVE NW. The other is located in south Edmonton at 5805 87A St NW. They are open from 8 am to 8 pm Monday to Saturday and from 10 am to 6 pm on Sunday.

What is a Collision Reporting Centre?

These are facilities that are for individuals involved in minor collisions. Specifically, a collision reporting centre is a facility where people can report traffic collisions to meet provincial requirements and satisfy some insurance requirements. In Alberta, individuals must report all collisions where persons are injured, or property damage exceeds $2,000 among all vehicles involved to the police.

Previously in Edmonton, to report a collision, you would have to report a crash at the front counter of a police station or wait for a police officer at the collision site. These new centres will feature staff trained to help complete the police report, take photos of the vehicle damage, and contract relevant parties.

Who Runs A Collision Reporting Centre?

The EPS has partnered with Accident Support Services International Ltd. (ASSI) to operate the Collision Reporting Centre in Edmonton. They are a management company that operates 41 collision reporting centres across Canada.

How Do I Use A Collision Reporting Centre?

If you’ve been in an accident, first determine if you or anyone is hurt. If you or anyone is injured, call 9-1-1 immediately. Next, take a breath. Accidents are stressful and can be scary. Remain calm. If it is safe and possible to do, move all involved vehicles to safety, clearing the road for other drivers.

Now, assess the damage. If the involved vehicles have sustained damage equalling $2,000 or more of combined damage you must report the collision to one of the two Collision Reporting Centres. You should try and do this as soon as possible; failing to report a collision could result in a fine. If you are unsure how much damage has been caused, you can get an estimate from a mechanic specializing in body work (body shop) however it’s worth noting that $2,000 isn’t a lot of damage on a modern vehicle.

Assuming you have to report the collision at a collision reporting centre, drive the vehicle in the accident there. If the vehicle cannot be driven and requires a tow, you must arrange for a tow company to transport you and your vehicle to the collision reporting centre directly from the scene. The EPS has communicated that if your vehicle requires a tow, you or the owner do not need to accompany the vehicle to the collision reporting centre at the same time.

Can I Contact An Injury Lawyer at a Collision Reporting Centre?

No, injury lawyers are not present at the Collision Reporting Centre. You still need to know your rights and who has your best interests in mind. Similar to the previous reporting process at a police station, there are no injury lawyers. These new collision reporting centres are designed to deploy police services better and not to replace the legal system. You should still contact an injury lawyer if you’ve been injured in an accident. An injury lawyer is best equipped to determine what steps you should take next to ensure you get the settlement you need.

Exceptions To Using a Collision Reporting Centre

As mentioned previously, Collision Reporting Centres focus on minor motor vehicle accidents. There are many exceptions where the police must respond and investigate the collision. Those exceptions include but are not limited to the following:

  • Injuries that require medical transport from the scene to a hospital;
  • Damage to property that presents a safety concern;
  • Collisions involving criminal activity, suspended drivers or vehicles being operated without insurance;
  • Collisions causing very significant traffic blockages (after the blockage is clear, attending officer may direct to collision reporting centre);
  • Fails to remain where the suspect vehicle is identifiable and in the area;
  • Involving federal, municipal, and provincial vehicles
  • Hazardous or dangerous goods are being transported;

James H. Brown and Associates Is Here For You

Have you been injured in a car accident? The precedent-setting injury law team at James H. Brown and Associates is here to help. While the process to report minor collisions is changing in Edmonton, it doesn’t impact your access to justice. Understanding your rights and how you can best access justice is critical. James H. Brown and Associates offers free injury-claim evaluations. These 30-minute no-obligation meetings are here to help you understand what to do next. If you’ve been injured in a motor vehicle accident, contact us today.

related post