When Should I Hire a Car Accident Lawyer After Being in a Car Accident?

This is one of the most common questions people have after being in a car accident. Many people have never been in a car accident before and never had to contact a car accident lawyer. You have the support of James H. Brown & Associates. Call us, and we can answer your questions and help you understand the process so that you can focus on recovery. We help you get the compensation you deserve for the impact the accident has had on all aspects of your life.

First Things First, Get Medical Attention

If you or others involved in an accident are experiencing a medical emergency, call 9-1-1. If you feel dazed, confused, tired or unwell, do not drive yourself home. Although you may feel capable of driving, it may not be safe for you to drive, even if it is only a few blocks home. You may not recognize the severity of your injuries, and your condition can rapidly change to life-threatening. Driving yourself home or providing a ride to others who are injured may put your safety and the safety of others at risk. 

Phone a friend or family member to meet you and help you get medical attention. Phone 811 in Alberta for Health Link, to help assess your injuries and for information on the nearest clinics and emergency departments.

Speak to an Injury Lawyer As Soon As Possible

Motor vehicle accidents require thorough and timely investigation to ensure the crucial evidence in your case is preserved. This often involves a team of car accident lawyers, accident reconstruction engineers and specialized analysts to work diligently to gather evidence so that your strongest case is advanced. Don’t wait to call us. Get legal advice as soon as possible after the accident so that you understand your rights and the legal process.

Car Accident Injury Lawyers help accident victims get compensation for the injuries that they have suffered from a motor vehicle accident. This process typically involves suing the at-fault driver by filing a Statement of Claim. A Statement of Claim is a commencement document that formally starts a lawsuit in court. Compensation for the losses you have suffered, also referred to as damages, is pursued against the at-fault driver and usually paid for by the at-fault driver’s insurance company.

In hit-and-run collisions, or where the at-fault driver does not have insurance, the process involves the Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Fund. Important steps are required, such as notifying the Administration of the Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Fund. You can lose your right to compensation if certain requirements are not met. Speak to a car accident lawyer as soon as possible after a car accident.

Understand Your Rights

Our team of experienced car accident lawyers will help you understand your rights. We help you understand your options so that you can decide how you want to proceed. You can take time to discuss this with your loved ones. Our car accident lawyers are fluent in multiple languages. If English is not your first language or if you are new to Canada, we can discuss the resources available to you so you can ensure that you and your family get the support they need.

If you are unsure if your injury is serious enough to hire an injury lawyer, do not hesitate to call us. Whether your injuries are minor, serious or life-changing, we are here to help you understand your legal rights. Accident victims who wait to see how they recover before speaking with a lawyer often wish they had phoned us sooner so that they understood the process from the start.

You may be worried about whether you will ever fully recover from your injuries or if you will have any long-term effects. Most people do not know the long-term nature of their injuries right after an accident. Recovery takes time and is different for each person. Do not wait to call us. The critical evidence in your case needs to be gathered immediately after the accident. We can help you understand how compensation for damages, or the losses you have suffered, are calculated. We fight for you and advance your strongest case so you can be confident you get the compensation that you deserve.

James H. Brown and Associates Is Here For You

If it has been months or more than a year since the accident, and you have been hesitant to speak with a lawyer, call us today for a no-obligation, free consultation. We can answer your questions so that you understand your options to protect the best of interests of you and your family. Remember that Alberta’s limitation laws specify the time you have to sue.

In Alberta, typically, a Statement of Claim must be filed within two years from the date of the accident, or you lose your right to sue. There are some exceptions to this, for example, if the injured person was a minor at the time of the accident. After the limitation has passed, you lose the right to sue. Make sure you understand your options and legal rights.

Do not wait until a few days before the limitation date to decide if you will pursue your case. The sooner you call us after the accident, the sooner we can help you navigate the process. Speak with one of our injury lawyers so that you can focus on your recovery. One call to us and you will know you have made the right decision.

related post